Friday, May 7, 2010

Recipe: Mango-Berry Stuffed French Toast

I think the belated birthday brunch I made for my mom a couple weekends ago spoiled me a little, because I found myself craving something sweet and elaborate once again. I actually made this recipe last weekend as a possible Mother’s Day brunch experiment for me mum (we’ll see if I use it; I have a ZILLION other ideers in my head for this weekend’s brunch). As I was out of the fixings for the fresh strawberry crepes I made for her birthday crepes, I had to regroup and come up with something else that would be just as satisfying, but different from my standard crepe indulgences. With 3 gorgeous, ripe mangos staring at me from my Big Bowl and some frozen berries I’d been meaning to finish, I knew another sensational fruity dish was a-comin’. And since I hadn’t had French toast in simply AGES (since my birthday, I think), I knew said dish would just have to be of the French toast persuasion.

This was my first attempt at a stuffed French toast version of my own and it turned out quite well. The mango & mixed berry combo was tasty & vibrant, and because I kept the other ingredients simple, it wasn’t the rich, heavy breakfast that it could have been. Not that I mind a rich breakfast every once in awhile, but let’s face it: a nice thick brioche, oodles of heavy whipping cream, and all the other amazing ingredients that can go into a restaurant-style stuffed French toast are not exactly Poor Girl friendly when it comes to my nano-budget. Especially when I had a nice loaf of oat & nut bread I could work with (like I always say: use what you have on hand!). The end result was a perfectly delicious, but much healthier version of this fun breakfast dish with plenty of sweet fruit. And as I just mentioned, keeping things simple & light reduced the cost dramatically. This is wonderful on its own but would also make a great addition to a Mother’s Day brunch buffet by keeping the pieces small and serving alongside other great dishes.

Mango & Berry Stuffed French Toast (serves 2-3; total cost per serving: $2.85)

6 slices whole grain bread
6 large eggs
2 T nonfat milk
1 t vanilla extract
1 c chopped fresh mango
1 c frozen mixed berries, thawed
1 T granulated sugar
1 T + 1 t butter
Powdered sugar (optional for garnish)

In a small bowl combine the mixed berries & granulated sugar and allow to sit for about 1/2 hour, or until the berries have created their own syrup. Add the mango and toss together gently. Set aside.

Whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Lightly butter each slice of bread with the teaspoon of butter (this will prevent the bread from becoming soggy from the berries), and add about 1/8 cup of the berry mango mixture to each slice. Put the slices together to form sandwiches, then dip each sandwich into the egg mixture. Melt the butter in a medium skillet and place one of the sandwiches into the skillet. Cook over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and slightly crispy along the edges. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.

To serve as pictured, spoon a bit of the berry syrup onto a small plate and swirl around until the bottom of the plate is coated. Cut each French toast sandwich diagonally in half and stack together. Top with the remaining mango-berry mixture, dust lightly with powdered sugar, and enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. These look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so hungry and this just makes me hungrier. i told my husband he needs to make this for me for mother's day. so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, those look delicious! We always add cinnamon to our French toast egg mixture, which I imagine would go well with this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks way too delicious to be good for you! Sinful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, you are awesome. I made this a few hours ago, and I _thought_ I had everything but my mango was too green ( no worries there; I made shoyu green mango, Hawaii style ), so I substituted fresh strawberries for the fresh mango portion.

    Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look yummy! Great idea for a family breakfast, thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! Would also be great with Challah (cut a slit inside) -- though it might raise the price. Trader Joe's sells nice Challah for about $3.00...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...