Sunday, April 17, 2011

I ♥ the Farmer's Market v. 546287

Today was the first day in all of 2011 that I had the chance to visit my favorite farmer's market under the freeway at 8th & X.  Between the inclement weather, lack funds and my health issues earlier this year, it just wasn't possible for me to experience the splendor of this amazing display of local & regional produce.

But as they say, good things come to those who wait, and I was pleasantly rewarded with the fruits (and vegetables) of today's visit.  From the first stalks of rhubarb to rows & rows of bright green asparagus bunches, the best of early spring was on full display.  Since everything was so lovely and I've been sorely lacking in fresh produce lately, I decided to take advantage of the five $5 bills I had in my wallet to do this month's $25 Shopping Cart.  But not without taking a few photos first (as many as my camera's low batteries would allow, that is!  Gotta remember to recharge next time...).

Here are just a few of the reasons why I <3 the farmer's market so much.  Don't forget to check back tomorrow evening this week for the full write-up on this season's farmer's market edition of the $25 Shopping Cart.  Enjoy!


Sunny, juicy & sweet as candy...

Technicolor rainbow chard...

It's like a little forest of funghi!

Spring has most definitely sprung!

All the colors of the rainbow, root veggie style...

I still can't get over how crazy bright red these cherry tomatoes were! 
Onions, onions, everywhere...

Mandarins!

These were awfully tempting...

As were these beauties... so ready to be dipped in garlicky melted butter!

Funghi Forest, take 2.  They were just too cute to leave alone!

Lovely fresh flower bouquets...

More fresh young onions...

There are simply no words for such beauty...

5 comments:

  1. I think that heaven is going to be a giant farmers market that I live in and it never closes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! And I'm jealous; our market doesn't open until the end of June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! All these look amazing! Did you buy the Chard? How do you cook/eat them? Could you do a post on that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winter in the Northeast has been far too long. I still feel like it'll be forever until our farmers markets are open! I can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to that farmers' market, yet as I live in Fair Oaks. I can't wait for the one to start at Fremont Park near my work, so I can go during the week. I had never had lemon cucumbers or Pluots until I started going to that one. Keep up the great posts and love the photos--so colorful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...