A lot of things I had on the agenda for last month were again pushed back to a later date. Between bad things (like getting sick) and good things (like moving to this new little home and scoring my first paid writing gig), I didn't have all the time I needed to get to everything I had planned. But that's life, so I just roll with the punches and try to reschedule things as best as I can.
The good news is that my neuralgia is almost bearable, I can see the floor in my living room now that a lot of boxes are out of the way, and my first Mushroom Channel post should be up this week! Here are some other updates and a sneak peek at things that I hope to get to in April...
- First of all, I wanted to welcome all of the new readers that have come to PGEW over the past month or so. As many of you know, I'm a featured contributor on TakePart.com, the official website for the movie Food, Inc., so a lot of new folks have discovered my little blog through the recipes featured on TakePart's Hungry for Change blog. It's fabulous to see so many new readers and I just wanted to say thank you for stopping by & welcome to the family!
- Here's some exciting news: yours truly was recently nominated as Best Local Blogger on KCRA's A List! The A-List is an annual list of the best of Sacramento businesses, services, and people, and I am beyond honored that one of my readers took the time to nominate me. If you have some time, I'd love it if you could cast your vote for me. Who knows? Maybe PGEW will be named the Best Local Blog of 2011. Thanks in advance!
- Next on the list: a couple of photo makeovers! I've become a little obsessed with practicing my photography skills, now that I have better equipment courtesy of my marvelous mom and generous friends who insist they want me to upload more videos onto YouTube. So that means that some of the older photos on the site will be getting a much needed facelift (because, frankly, some of 'em are making me cringe!). The first photo makeover is actually from a relatively recent recipe, but I had a craving for it this weekend and had to take advantage of the opportunity! Still deciding on which one will be the second, but no matter what, it'll be an improvement. Look for the first one to be posted tomorrow!
- Speaking of videos, I've decided to do another video recipe this month! Though it was a lot of work and I had some trouble with the editing programs I was using, I actually had a lot of fun creating a video so I wanted to do it again. Look for that toward the latter half of the month.
- It's spring and produce has sprung around these parts! Asparagus is my current obsession, so all you fellow asparagus lovers, stay tuned for some great new recipes featuring our favorite little green stalks.
- It's $25 Shopping Cart time! With the way food prices have been skyrocketing, some folks aren't so sure I can continue shopping with such a tiny budget. But just because the prices go up in stores doesn't mean my budget goes up too, so I'll just have to shop that much smarter wherever I go. Oddly enough, I don't have any particular store in mind for this month, so if anyone has any suggestions for where I should go this month, let me know! Otherwise, I may hit some of the more challenging stores, like the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op.
- As you may have noticed from my last recipe, I seem to have a bit of a kumquat addiction right now. So before the season completely comes to a close, I thought I'd feature a couple more recipes using these delightful little fruits. I've been getting a lot of feedback from folks who aren't always quite sure what to do with their kumquats, so I'm here to help! Trust me, they're a lot more versatile than you think. :)
That's all for now, folks. Time to hit the sack and tackle another work week. Happy April, everybody!